- Providing technical advice and support on the design, engineering, construction, and modification of static equipment, piping, pipelines, and valves selection.
- The incumbent provides engineering support to the implementation of capital projects for the modification or optimization of plant and offshore systems, equipment and facilities. Provides leadership, support and guidance to the Mechanical Engineering group as well as technical service and support to Operations.
- Subject Matter Expert for Mechanical and Pipeline Engineering specifications.
- Leading discipline teams. Delegates, organizes, and supervises work for senior mechanical engineering staff.
- Work supervision, training, and mentorship of mechanical engineering graduates.
Key Result Areas
- Work independently on newly identified Engineering problems. Prepares Design and Engineering specifications. Assist Field/Project Engineers in selection of equipment to match the process duty, definition of the plant layout, and piping layout.
- Prepares a comprehensive work-package, in consultation with other functional specialist engineers, Unit Engineers and Process Engineers and flow it through the Company Procurement process. Administers within budgeted cost and arrive at a fully developed solution for the Engineering Work Requests referred to Engineering Department.
- Should comprehend the plant problems like static equipment/piping vibration, equipment malfunctioning, and root-cause analysis under operating conditions. Well experienced in attending to operating plant field-troubles in line with the operations/ maintenance requirements.
- Experience in performing equipment, pipelines & piping stress analysis using software (CAESAR II, etc..). Ability to use good engineering sense along with stress model to solve existing plant problems including vibrations, waterhammer, slug flow, and relief load analysis. Translates the piping model into a construction package with civil & structural Engineer/Designer and Drafting personnel.
- Should co-work with other personnel and get in-sync with data interpretation and resolve for an acceptable solution and perform a job closeout. Starts from conceptual, detailed design, procurement assistance, construction observation and engineering assistance for commissioning services. Shall develop tie-in schedules and material-takeoffs for a planned tie-in works.
- Mechanical approver of all mechanical related issues including drawings and data sheets detail and conceptual design.
- Lead, delegate and organize work to other engineers, contractors, and graduates.
Operating Environment, Framework and Boundaries:
- Operates in a comprehensive technical support role to provide Mechanical Engineering support for the issues referred to the Engineering Department.
- Typical work is associated with design of modifications to the existing facilities ranging from minor works (field-trouble issues) to small and medium sized projects to be executed in tight time-frame.
- Supports the Mechanical group and assists the Subject Matter Expert for Mechanical & Pipelines Engineering. May be required to act as Lead Mechanical Engineer.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Should be a very good team player with proven technical competence; extensively interacts both within and outside the Company. Should be well aware of the Company Business process in getting the jobs done in very short turnaround at a competitive cost.
- Extensive collaborative working with other specialist engineers, consultants and contractors primarily to identify related issues and incorporate their input into a fully defined solution package, cost estimates and schedules to the problem under studies.
- Interfacing between engineering specialists, project engineers, planners, construction / production / maintenance/ integrity and Project Engineers.
- A very thorough interactive work with Process Engineers and Piping Designers is required to conceive, develop, optimize and freeze the piping drawing through Hydraulics Initial Configuration Stress Analysis reconfiguring of piping and re-running hydraulics & stress-analysis cycle.
- An integrated matured approach in problem solving is required; application of multidisciplinary knowledge is essential requirement. Should meet the demands of operating plant requirements and have working knowledge in other functional areas like electrical and instrumentation.
- Should deliver the results at the scheduled time and cost. Should assess commercial impact of decisions related with hidden issues and provide the highest value addition at the early stage of solution development. Understand the full potential and impact in the early development stages.
Decision Making Authority and Responsibility:
- Work in accordance with Engineering Standards, Company policies, and functional requirements from client Engineers in designing and developing solutions. Evolve cost benefit analysis and decide on short list options for managementís consideration.
- Based on decisive engineering analytical skills, conduct a data validation for technical definitions.
Knowledge Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 15 years experience in design, engineering, and modifications of static equipment, process piping, and pipelines for an operating onshore/offshore oil & gas processing facilities. Hands on experience in maintenance and project execution are preferred.
- Knowledge of the relevant international standards and codes of practice normally used such as API, ANSI, ASME, and ISO is required.
- Experience in pipe stress analysis using CAESAR II and piping material selection is mandatory. Additional experience in AutoPIPE is desirable.
- Experience in using ANSYS finite element analysis software is preferred.