Key Result Areas
· To identify potential risks which could disrupt or terminate company operations or otherwise affect RasGas profitability. To develop and monitor the implementation of programs to minimise these risks.
· Liaises with concerned parties to ensure compliance;
· Reviews projects to ensure environmental risks are effectively identified through systematic assessment techniques and ensures that the good environmental technology/practices are infused into operations;
· Develops effective environmental protection programs - including air/water quality programs, waste management, and emergency response programs.
· Prepares appropriate environmental studies to ensure aspects are identified, potential impacts are accurately assessed and the correct control systems are implemented.
· To participate in environmental assessments that audit RG performance, identifies and prioritises areas for improvement and internal controls to evaluate progress.
· To provide professional environmental engineering support to all functions.
· To develop, communicate and update environmental standards - ensuring effective implementation and compliance.
· Ensures associated monitoring systems are in place;
· Evaluates the compliance requirements of existing EHS laws, regulations and obtains required government approval and permits.
· To train and develop RasGas staff and provide direction as appropriate.
· To participate as a subject matter expert in the investigation, reporting, follow-up and tracking of incidents that include non-compliances, spills and releases.
· Represent RasGas with local industry associations.
· Carries out other and similar duties at the request of the Environmental Affairs Manager or ESE Manager.
Operating Environment, Framework and Boundaries
· External EHS authority laws and regulations continue to be developed. Internal EHS procedures require maintenance and updates as part of the RG EHS management system (RGEE).
· Needs to promote awareness and support for the execution of EHS processes within RG.
Has a degree of freedom in the execution of his function to prescribe processes that achieve EHS business objectives.
Communications and Working Relationships
· Regular meetings with the Environmental Affairs Manager and ESE Manager
· Regular meetings with operations managers and other section heads.
· Periodic meetings and presentations to members of the top management team.
· Occasional meetings with the shareholders representatives
· Regular meetings with EHS authorities and other representatives of the community.
Regular meetings with EHS personnel from other companies within Qatar and region.
· Brings together planning of individual functions to an optimum balance if EHS issues present conflicts with need to maximize production and minimise costs.
· Sets priorities by assessing risks and hazards.
Plans for realistic incident scenarios, documenting level of risk, controls and mitigation.
Decision Making Authority and Responsibility
· Determines environmental quality standards for emissions, waste management and establishes monitoring programs.
Prepares recommendations to the management team that could have an impact in excess of US $10 million in terms of liability and plant availability.
Knowledge Skills and Experience
· Appropriate engineering degree (chemical, mechanical, civil) from a recognised university.
· Post graduate study leading to licences / certification from professional EHS institutions or
· Masters degree in a related subject an advantage.
· Broad technical and commercial knowledge related to the oil and gas industry both onshore and offshore for at least 10 years.
· At least 10 years experience with world-class organization in EHS area at a senior level.
· Familiar with working and making timely, accurate assessments in a multi national setting.
· Able to use good communication skills in motivating / influencing people to achieve results.
· Able to analyze complex technical data.
· Computer literate in environmental models, spreadsheets, word processing, graphics.
Able to influence attitudes and behaviours toward Environment priorities in work situations.